CBP Introduces Electronic Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has begun the process of automating Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record to streamline the admissions process for individuals lawfully visiting the United States. Form I-94 provides international visitors evidence they have been lawfully admitted to the U.S. which is necessary to verify alien registration, immigration status, and employment authorization. The automation means that affected visitors will no longer need to fill out a paper form when arriving to the U.S. by air or sea. Records of admission will now be generated using traveler information already transmitted through electronic means. Automation will begin on April 30, 2013 at certain ports of entry and is expected to be fully implemented at all air and sea ports by May 21, 2013.

Travelers wanting a hard copy or other evidence of admission will be able to print out a Form I-94 based on the electronically submitted data, including the I-94 number from the form, at www.cbp.gov/i94

As before, F-1 and J-1 students at FIU will be expected to present Form I-94 to ISSS:

• when they check in (as new students) or restart status by traveling
  • when applying for benefits such as CPT and OPT
  • at any other time Form I-94 is required by ISSS to verify student status

Now that Form I-94 will be electronically maintained, students will be expected to print out a copy of the form for various purposes and uses by ISSS.