J-1 Address Change

All non-immigrants (except those in A or G status), 14 years of age or older, who will remain in the U.S. for 30 days or longer, are required by law to notify the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) within 10 days of a change of address in the U.S. The parent or legal guardian of a nonimmigrant child under the age of 14 is responsible for notifying DHS of the child’s change of address. Failure to comply with this requirement is a violation of immigration status that is punishable by fine or imprisonment and/or removal (“deportation”).

Notifying the DHS of an Address Change

You are required by DHS to inform Florida International University within 10 days of any change to your physical residence in the U.S. You must report an address change by contacting ISSS. The changes will then be reported electronically to DHS through the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). You must also update your SEVIS local information in Panthersoft. Your physical residence is defined as where you live, not your school, lab, or a P.O. Box. You may report a separate mailing address only if it is impossible for mail to be delivered to your physical residence. However, you must still provide ISSS with your current physical address to keep on file. You should also inform the FIU Office of Payroll to update your address for payroll purposes.

J-1 Students who possess a DS-2019 NOT issued by Florida International University 
You must report an address change to the institution that issued your DS-2019 in order to comply with DHS regulations and you must update your t SEVIS local address IN Panthersoft. You should also notify ISSS to ensure we have the most accurate contact information for you.