J-1 Visiting Scholars Taxes

Income Tax Filing Requirement

January 1 through April 15 is “Tax Season” in the U.S.  During this period, U.S. citizens, permanent residents and many non-immigrants must file income tax returns and other tax forms. By law, every individual in F-1, F-2, J-1 and J-2 status must file certain tax forms, even if they have not worked in the U.S.  ALL international students, scholars and their dependents (F-1, F-2, J-1 and J-2) should file tax Form 8843.

If you worked and earned income in the U.S. the previous year, you should file an income tax return AND Form 8843 before April 15.

If you did not earn any income, you should file Form 8843 before June 15.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the U.S. government institution that oversees the withholding and filing of taxes. All appropriate forms can be accessed on their website.  International students are not always exempt from income taxes in the U.S. Click here for more information about your tax obligations as a foreign student or scholar.

ISSS advisors are NOT experts in income taxes and thus, cannot advise or assist you in filing your returns.