All F-1 students must check in with the International Student and Scholar Services Office (ISSS) within 10 days of arriving in the United States (if arriving from abroad), and no later than 15 days after the first day of the semester.
All students who received an I-20 from FIU, whether arriving from abroad or already in the United States, must bring the following documents to ISSS at the time of check-in:
- Valid passport
- F-1 visa stamped into passport OR proof of change of status within the U.S., i.e. a USCIS I-797 approval notice
- Form I-94 Arrival Record*
- FIU I-20**
- Local U.S. Address (PO Boxes are not acceptable)
- Foreign Address
- Name and Phone # for an Emergency Contact
- Acknowledgement of Responsibility Form completed and signed (You will not be able to check in without this form)
Students Transferring from Other U.S. Institutions:
If your FIU I-20 was issued for “Transfer Pending From: (Previous School Name)” you are REQUIRED to complete the transfer of your SEVIS record by reporting to your new school no later than 15 days after the first day of the semester.
After an ISSS advisor reviews all your documents, if all is in order, you will be issued a new I-20 for “Continued Attendance” which will indicate that the transfer has been completed. You will be notified by email when the new I-20 is ready for pick-up.