New Panther Portal-Mandatory Check-In for F-1 and J-1 Students
All F-1 and J-1 students must check in using the New Panther Portal within 10 days of arriving in the United States (if arriving from abroad), and no later than 15 days after the first day of the semester.
You can upload documents, confirm your student information, and complete your mandatory information session online! You will be directed to a sign in page (see link below), where you will need to use your panther ID and password to sign in. Follow the directions on the home page very carefully and you will be done with this process easily!
To check in, after you access the NEW PANTHER PORTAL, you MUST complete the following steps:
Step 1- Enter your Biographical Information:
- Local U.S. Address (PO Boxes are not acceptable)
- Name and Phone number for an Emergency Contact
Step 2- Virtual Information Session:
Upload Certificate of completion for the New Panther Virtual Information Session (This is an online module that you will be able to complete while you are checking in).
Step 3-Upload the Following Immigration Documents
(All documents must be uploaded in PDF format – no exceptions)
- Valid Passport
- F-1 or J-1 Visa Stamp (or Change of Status notice) *Canadian Citizens: upload copy of the stamp in your passport
- Form I-20 or DS-2019
- Most recent Form I-94: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
- For F-2 or J-2 dependents: please complete the required check-in and upload passport, visa, and I-20 for all dependents coming with you
* Students arriving in the U.S. after April 30, 2013 may not receive a paper Form I-94 (and this form will be maintained ONLY electronically after May 21, 2013). After arrival in the U.S. you must access Form I-94 at www.cbp.gov/i94 and print a copy to present to ISSS.
** Students who are already in the United States and DID NOT receive an I-20 from FIU must set up an appointment with an international student advisor AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and no later than the first week of classes.
F-1 Students Transferring from Other U.S. Institutions:
If your FIU I-20 was issued for “Transfer Pending From: (Previous School Name)” you are REQUIRED to complete the transfer of your SEVIS record by reporting to your new school no later than 15 days after the first day of the semester.
After an ISSS advisor reviews all your documents, if all is in order, you will be issued a new I-20 for “Continued Attendance” which will indicate that the transfer has been completed. You will be notified by email when the new I-20 is ready for pick-up.
Important about Employment!
- Obtain proper authorization before engaging in any off-campus employment whether the employment is paid or non-paid. (Working without proper authorization constitutes illegal employment, an offense that can lead to deportation.)
- Refrain from any on-campus employment if/while you are out-of-status.
- ALWAYS check with the ISSS BEFORE you engage in anything resembling employment, internships, co-op experience, whether paid or unpaid. Avoid putting your immigration status at risk!
- If you register for a course that consists of an internship, any kind of employment on or off campus, co-op experience, paid or unpaid, or that it has the word “internship” in the nbame of the course. you MUST visit the ISSS Office IMMEDIATELY to obtain approval. Failure to do so may lead to very serious violations of immigration policies.