At FIU, providing our students with a Worlds Ahead experience while preparing them for the global market is one of our top priorities. As such, numerous FIU panthers partake in international internship opportunities that are facilitated through Career Services and the students’ academic departments. While we at the Office of Study Abroad do not have internship offerings or listings, our responsibility with our students is to help prepare them for the internship experience abroad.
Students who are interested in participating in an international internship must first meet with their major academic advisor to discuss prospective internship opportunities, visit Career Services to discuss the procedure and to then apply for and secure and internship, and meet with the Office of Study Abroad to prepare for the internship experience abroad. The Office of Study Abroad will provide students with the mandatory insurance coverage, which includes medical, political, and natural disaster evacuation; will register the students with the US Department of State to help ensure their safety while abroad; and will meet with the students to discuss all health and safety matters on the host country prior to the student’s departure.
To participate in an international internship opportunity, please take the following steps:
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your plans and to learn about how you can receive academic credit for your internship experience.
- Visit Career Services to discuss next steps in applying for and securing an internship abroad
- Meet with Susy Gomez (email@example.com ), Assistant Director of the Office of Study Abroad, to prepare for your experience abroad
- Submit the Online Application.
- Submit all supplemental materials to the OSA
- Medical Form completed by a physician
- Copy of your passport
- Insurance fee, which includes political evacuation and natural disaster evacuation coverage. Enrollment in the FIU international insurance policy is mandatory for all FIU students going abroad
- Meet with the OSA for your mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation
- Pick up your insurance card from the OSA
Enjoy your experience!