At FIU, providing our students with a Worlds Ahead experience while preparing them for the global market is one of our top priorities. As such, numerous FIU panthers partake in international internship opportunities that are facilitated through Career Services and the students’ academic departments. While we at the Office of Study Abroad do not have internship offerings or listings, our responsibility with our students is to help prepare them for the internship experience abroad.
Students who are interested in participating in an international internship must first meet with their major academic advisor to discuss prospective internship opportunities, visit Career Services to discuss the procedure and to then apply for and secure and internship, and meet with the Office of Study Abroad to prepare for the internship experience abroad. The Office of Study Abroad will provide students with the mandatory insurance coverage, which includes medical, political, and natural disaster evacuation; will register the students with the US Department of State to help ensure their safety while abroad; and will meet with the students to discuss all health and safety matters on the host country prior to the student’s departure.
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your plans and to learn about how you can receive academic credit for your internship experience.
- Visit Career Services to discuss next steps in applying for and securing an internship abroad
- Meet with Ariana Arguello, Program Coordinator of Study Abroad, to discuss your plans and go over the application procedure
- Submit the online application and all supplemental materials to the OSA, including the insurance fee
- Meet with the OSA for a Pre-Departure Orientation
Checklist of Required Documents for INTERNSHIPS ABROAD:
- Complete Application Form (submitted online) (Link will be sent once you speak to the program coordinator)
- Copy of your passport
- Medical Form completed by a physician
- Proof of Academic Credit
- $30 per 2 weeks and $50 per month for medical insurance, including political evacuation and natural disaster evacuation coverage, which is mandatory for all FIU students going abroad
- * Please note that the Office of Study Abroad only accepts certified bank checks and money orders paid to the order of “FIU.”
Contact for more information:
Office of Study Abroad
Florida International University
11200 SW 8th Street MMC, SASC 230 Miami, 33199
Phone: 305-348-1913 Fax: 305-348-1941